Renewing Your Teaching Certificate
If you have a Standard Teaching Certificate in the State of Illinois, renewing your certificate requires just a few steps.
1. Determine whether your status is Active and Exempt, or Active and No Exemptions. To do this:
  • Log into
  • Click on ECS in the top tool bar
  • On the ECS page that opens, click on "Click Here" in the section marked "Educator Access".
  • In the window that opens, enter your Account ID and Password
  • In the window that opens, click on "Professional Development and Renewal" in the toolbar at the top of the page.
  • In the window that opens, click on "Professional Development Exemptions".
  • In the window that opens, click on "Enter/Review Exemptions".
  • If you are Active - No Exemption, you don't need to do anything further.
  • If you are Active - Exempt you will need to change your status.
    • Click on "Modify Exemption Status"
    • Go through each of the windows, entering the information requested.
    • When asked the reason you are changing your status, state that you have completed the necessary number of CPDUs and that your employer is requiring your status to be Active - No Exemptions.
    • You will need to check your exemption status periodically because you will not receive an email informing you that the status has been changed. This can take up to a month.
    • If you have any trouble with this, or if you are told you don't have to be Active - No Exemptions, contact the South Cook Intermediate Service Center . They may be able to help.

Renewing your Certificate

  • Before you do anything, print out a copy of the page with your Professional Development Activity Entries. Once your certificate is renewed, you will no longer be able to view those entries.
  • Anytime after September 1 of the academic year your certificate is to be renewed, you can submit the statement of assurance. This is a statement that "assures" the State that all of your professional development activities are accurate, and the state will review your activities and approve them if they apply.
  • Periodically check your page displaying your professional development activities to see if they have been approved (the question mark will change to a check mark).
  • Once your professional development activities have been approved, Anytime after April 1 of the academic year your certificate expires you may Register (Renew) your certificate. Log into ECS and select "Register Certificates", and follow the prompts.

For more detailed information, visit the renewcert wiki.